Connery and Daniela Bianchi posing in front of the Hagia
Sophia in 1963.
Armendariz and Sean Connery in a scene deleted from the final
cut of From Russia With Love.
James Bond in
With Love (1963)
The film was shot on location in Istanbul in 1963 and includes lots
of sweeping scenes of the City. James Bond visits the airport, the
railway station, the Grand Bazaar, Hagia Sophia and sails down the
• During production in 1963 Ian Fleming took Dana Broccoli
sightseeing on a boat on the Bosphorus. Ian Fleming had a great
knowledge of the city as he had been on an assignment as a
journalist the year before. He based the character Kerim Bey on his
friend, Oxford-educated, Nazim Kalkaren.
• In Cubby Broccoli’s autobiography (The Man Who Brought James
Bond 007 to the Screen), he says that in Istanbul, Ian was in
his element. “He loved the sounds, the spicy smells, the bazaars,
the street merchants and the belly dancers…”.
• The crew were shooting in Turkey for 22 days 22nd April - 13th May
• On the 29th and 30th April the crew were shooting the exterior of
a narrow alley and outside the Sehzade Mosque, at night.
• Other Turkish locations include Halkali region in Istanbul,
kabatas ferry, Pendik (Istanbul province), Adriatic Coast.
• In Cubby’s autobiography he writes that From Russia With Love
gave him the opportunity to shoot in one of the world's most exotic
The World Is
Not Enough (1999)
The crew were shooting in Istanbul for 8 days and locations included
the Galata Tower, Karakoy Customs Port, Kasimpasa / Kasimpasa Ferry
Terminal, apartment and embankment by Kiz Kulesi, Vogue Restaurant,
Scaffold Tower (by Salacak Fisherman’s Harbour), Kucuksu Kasri
(Electra’s Villa), Maiden’s Tower, shots of the Istanbul rooftops.
• M was held captive in the Maiden’s Tower
• James Bond has returned to shoot at Eminonu Spice Market for